Monday, July 11, 2005

All Appologies

Again, I need to excuse myself for the lack of updates in here. I promise we'll get to some more goodies shortly.

As an excuse: In my daylight hours, I work for the government providng invaluable (heh)editorial support for dozens of scientists trying to unravel life's little mysteries. Lately, work has been sandbagging me and I haven't had much time to do any research.

This coming week, one half of Raging Sombrero Studios (aka Joey) will be attending the San Diego Comic Con. He's going to chat up fellow web-comics folk and get friendly with various bartenders in the area. There's a possiblity we'll have some Tom Sparks related merchandise out there as well. So, if by any chance you go to the Con and see some people wearing Tom Sparks shirts or what have you, stop and say hello. It will be either Joey or one of his posse.

And now time for a brief review - something I won't do very often because, well, opinions are a dime a dozen and worth even less when you add 'em up. Still, this last weekend, I did get a chance to see 'War of the Worlds' and I thought it was great. I felt there were a lot of problems (almost all exclusively on the script level), but as an example of pure visual storytelling, it's astonishing. It reminds me in many ways of a nightmare put on the screen - loose, almost fragmented character beats and narrative lines, with some truly unspeakable moments of horror and dark beauty (the play of light on Dakota Fanning's face as she stares in horror at the river was just utter perfection). In fact, the closest thing I can compare it to is "Night of the Hunter," where the actual story is really secondary to the way the story is told visually.

Like I said, not a perfect movie by any means, but of the flicks I've seen this year, it's left the biggest impression on me. Well worth seeing in the theater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home